Absolutely, Positively YES. The police are allowed to tell you an outright lie in their attempt to get you to incriminate yourself. One of the most common lies is to say they have witnesses or other evidence like a video tape, when they do not; they can even offer you a false deal. There are many reasons why you should always be suspicious of law enforcement and their tactics and their immunity is one. It is always better to just remain silent and ask for an attorney.

 What are my rights when I am being questioned by an officer & I am under arrest?

An officer can attempt to question or interrogate an arrestee. For the most part, as a defendant you have the same rights in regards to answering questions as you do when you are not under arrest (read above). If you are in custody the officer must read you your Miranda Rights prior the questioning you, during this time you are also entitled to have an attorney present. The most important thing to come away with if you are under arrest and being questioned you still have the right to remain silent.

 My friend just got arrested, when can I bail him out?

If someone you know is in custody and desires to be bailed out contact the police station or jail he is being held in and ask the deputy if bail has been set for the arrestee’s name. When a suspect gets arrested they must be frisked, taken down to the holding facility, booked, processed and then the officer/deputy can issue bail. This entire process can take some time, you just have to be patient. If the person in custody is under the influence of alcohol or drugs or is a harm to himself or the community bail will not be set until her is sober and safe. Once bail is set you can contact a bail company or arrange private payment.
If you are having trouble locating a person check our “inmate locator” section of this website.

I was arrested and released from Jail, now what?

If you have been arrested and released from police custody you are typically handed a slip or citation “cite out” to appear to court on a certain date and time. If you were not given any information on your court date contact the agency that arrested and find out if they filed a report or if they have any additional information. If the police did not give you a citation and you have no court date this does not mean you are in the clear, the police can always continue to investigate the matter. The best thing to do is call an attorney and have him handle this sensitive situation.

 I showed up to court on my court date and my case was not on calendar?

If you were given a court date and you appeared but the court did not have a case for you it is important to ask the clerk to stamp your citation that you appeared. Many times the police officers are late in their filings and often times the district attorney can decide to not file any charges, take some time make a decision on another date or request for the officer to continue to investigate the case. If you case is not filed with the court on the date of the citation it does not mean there is no case, it can be filed at a later time.

 Do I have to go to court myself if I have an attorney?

If you are charged with a misdemeanor an attorney can make an appearance on your behalf without your presence, unless there are special circumstances. If you are charged with a felony case then you must appear to court with your attorney.